Recipe by granny franny #2
Again, a recipe I had marked "Great" in my collection file.Like so many of you, I have collected many recipes over the years and have them filed in many places. Recipezaar is helping me get organized and find old favorites.
- 8 slices Italian bread, thickly cut on the diagonal
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, spread each of 4 slices of bread with 1T. cream cheese and the other 4 each with 1T. preserves.Make 4 sandwiches from the bread and put in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Mix eggs, milk, sugar and nutmeg in a bowl. Slowly pour half of this mixture on one side of each sandwich. Turn sandwiches over and repeat process, making sure that all bread surfaces have some egg mixture on them.
- Cover with wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add 1T. of butter. Fry sandwiches about 4 minutes on each side. Keep warm in oven.
- Serve with strawberry sauce: Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and water.
- Bring to a boil and watch carefully so that it doesn't boil over.
- Boil several minutes until mixture cooks down and thickens.
- This can be done the night before, refrigerated and then reheated.