Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a great cake to use for Strawberry Short Cake. It has a "velvety" texture.
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- All ingredients (including eggs and cream cheese) must be at room temperature.
- Cream butter well, add cream cheese.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour gradually, then add vanilla flavor.
- Place cake in tube pan in COLD oven.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (163 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours (gas oven 1 hour)[from the time you turn on the oven].
- Note: The longer the cream cheese, butter, and eggs sit at room temperature, the better the cake (ingredients can be left out over night).
This is very similar to the recipe from Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg. This recipe is the best! I have served it plain, with a slight dusting of powdered sugar and with a tart Lemon Butter Mousse with Blueberries.
Try this recipe both with plain and cake flour, both cake turns out compact and slightly dry though texture of cake is good.