Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries and Shakes. A very abbreviated version of this recipe appears on FoodNetwork.com as "Philly burger".
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced into rings
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck (or turkey)
- 8 slices aged provolone cheese (1/4-inch thick)
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- 2 roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped (jarred)
- pickled hot pepper rings
- flat leaf parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each into a patty and make a depression in the center.
- Season both sides of meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining oil over high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Cook burgers to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- During the last minute of cooking, add cheese and cover pan.
- Top burgers with peppers and parsley.