Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An American in Canada told me how much he missed the dirty rice he used to have at home. This is something we slapped together from about 10 different recipes we found on the web.
- 10 -12 links hot Italian sausages, crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Frank's red hot sauce or 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Spray a large non-stick pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Brown crumbled sausages in pan along with diced onion, bell peppers, and garlic.
- Drain fat and season with cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder.
- Add water and simmer for about 20- 30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked down.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and Franks Hot Sauce (Tabasco).
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, stir gently, until all rice is moistened.
- Top with green onion and parsley, stir lightly and serve.
Great as a meal on it's own or cut down the sausage and have it with Jerk Chicken. The tangy of the chicken really compliments the heat of the rice
I loved it- great flavor and the heat was just right. I cut the recipe back to 2 Italian "Hot" sausages and there were two large servings. Didn;t have green onion so I added chives. This would be excellent as one dish on a brunch buffet for a large crowd Thanks Winnipeg Walt for a delicious dinner.It is a keeper