Recipe by Chef Tom #2
A graet appetizer. This dipping sauce is a little spicy
Top Review by Cooks4you
EXCELLENT!!!! My husband saw this recipe on a hunting show and asked me to make it. I had a freezer full of pheasant and let me tell you, this was a huge success. I made a bunch for him to take to work and the only complaint was there wasn't enough.
- 12 ounces pheasant breast, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, whipped
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- fry oil (1 quart for frying) or vegetable oil (1 quart for frying)
curry dipping sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chucker in food processor and puree stopping frequently to scrap sides. When smooth add the cream slowly while the processor is running. Next add herbs and a pinch of salt and pulse a couple times to combine. Keep cold until needed.
- For the béchamel melt the butter in a 1 quart or small saucepan. Add flour and whisk to form a paste. Add a little milk and whisk out all lumps. Add the rest of the milk while whisking and bring to a simmer to thicken. Season a little heavy with salt and cool. When cool the mixture should be very thick. Combine with the chucker puree and keep cold.
- To form the croquettes line a small sheet pan with wax paper. Take two teaspoons and begin to form a three-sided football shape. Don’t try to get too much on the spoon. Place on wax paper and continue until all the chucker is used. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to firm up the croquettes.
- Set up your breading station with a pan of the flour, pan of eggs and pan of breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a fryer or pot to 360°. When the croquettes are firm enough to handle, start to bread them by coating on flour then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Return to the wax paper. Fry each croquette for about 3 minutes or until nice and golden brown and center is gooey. Serve hot with curry dipping sauce.
- Curry dipping sauce: Combine all ingredients and mix well.