- 29.58 ml butter
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1-2 pheasant, trussed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 14 fluid ounce chicken stock
- 22.18 ml wine vinegar
- 1.23 ml cayenne or 1.23 ml red pepper
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58-44.37 ml dry sherry
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the first butter with the oil in a heavy, lidded pan.
- Brown the pheasants on all sides.
- Season lightly with the salt and black pepper.
- Add the stock, vinegar, cayenne or red pepper and bring to simmering point.
- Cover and cook gently for 50-60 minutes, until tender.
- Transfer the pheasants to a heated serving dish and keep hot while you finish the sauce.
- Work the butter and flour together and gradually whisk small pieces into the stock, stirring constantly until it has all been absorbed.
- Stir in the sherry and adjust the seasoning.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then spoon over the pheasants and serve.