Recipe by Monica in PA
I was at a loss when my hunter DH came home with lots of pheasant for me to cook. A family friend gave me this recipe and it is DELICIOUS!
Top Review by stellbellbear
I really enjoyed this, although, my pheasant got a bit dry. And i even cooked it 15 minutes less than suggested! It would have been inedible if i had cooked it the full time. Maybe I had it simmering too high? Not sure, since no one else seemed to have this issue. Otherwise, the flavor was great. I would definitely try this again. Everyone enjoyed this, but also thought it was dry. I served with herbed oven-roasted potatoes and carrots.
- 1 pheasant (skin and split in half, lengthwise)
- paprika (I always use Hungarian paprika if possible for best flavor)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash pheasant and pat dry.
- Sprinkle on both sides with paprika.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and cook pheasant on both sides till browned.
- Add more butter if needed.
- Mix water and bouillon and pour over pheasant.
- Lower heat and cover and simmer for thirty minutes until tender.
- Add water if needed and turn meat several times.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Let liquid on pheasant cook away and then baste orange sauce over the meat.
- Simmer uncovered and baste frequently for 10-15 minutes.
- Serves 2. Great served with rice.