Recipe by Cheri B
Baked wild bird is really moist cooked in gravy, we like it with cooked rice spooning the gravy over the Rice or Mashed potatoes. I have another recipe here in the scraps some where, it uses a lot more ingredients but better. I will post it asap, but I think it is in the shed for the winter with my Italian recipes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pheasants or 6 quail, breast cut in half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom & garlic soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (yes one can water)
- 1 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet or dutch oven (medium) heat oil and butter if you do not have olive oil use what is in the cupboard. Oil keeps the butter from burning.
- Tear of the top third, of the brown paper bag you got the wine out of.
- You might as well pour a glass of the wine now, before your hands get flour on them.
- Place flour, salt & pepper in the brown paper bag, close top & shake.
- Add breast one at a time shake, and place in pan repeat until done.
- Brown breast on both sides.
- Take sip of Wine & Turn oven on to 350.
- Placed breast into a greased oven proof dish to make single layer.
- Add onions to pan & cook until translucent, sprinkle on breast.
- Sip Wine, In a different bowl mix up soup, water and chicken broth.
- Bake uncovered for 45-50 minute
- I have added poutry seasong to this.
- If no Garlic Cream of Mushroom just use regular C.of Mushroom.
- I have not had stock so I used chicken bouillon cubes. Read the box for amounts.
- I have, deglazed pan with pan with white wine, 1/2 cup and reduce water by this amount of wine, and add pan drippings to the soup broth mix.
- For a nice presentation sprinkle the top with 1 can ( 2.8 oz) french fried onions, add after 40 minute.
- Cook until breast juices run clear.
- prep time includes browning meat & onions.