Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I just can't recall where I got this recipe, but I've made it twice and liked it even better the second time,..thought others should try it.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs pheasants
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 2⁄3 cup sliced leek, white part only
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Sprinkle pheasant and giblets with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Skim as needed.
- Use clove to apike bay leaf onto onion, add to pheasant.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- After pheasant has cooked 30 minutes, add leeks, carrot and celery; continue cooking, uncovered, the remaining time.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove pheasant from the pan.
- Strain broth, then bring to a boil again.
- Add asparagus stem pieces and simmer in broth for 15 minutes, adding tips after 8 minutes.
- Remove pheasant meat from bones, cut in even pieces.
- Remove asparagus from broth; add to pheasant and cool.
- Mix vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, sugar and oil.
- toss pheasant and asparagus with dressing.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.