Recipe by KGCOOK
I got this from a book published in 1947 called Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking. It was given to me by my mother.
- 2 lbs pheasants, dressed
- 3⁄4 cup onion, fine chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, coarse grated
- 3⁄4 cup celery, fine dice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse inside and outside of pheasant several times with warm water.
- Drain well.
- Salt inside cavity.
- Cook giblets for gravy if desired.
- TO MAKE STUFFING:.
- Saute onion in heated butter.
- Add remainig ingredients for stuffing and toss to mix well.
- Fill cavity and truss.
- TO MAKE BLANKET DOUGH:.
- Sift together fluor and salt.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until the size of rice grains.
- Add water gradually stirring to make a dough soft enough to roll.
- Roll out in to a rectangle shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Thickness should be between 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
- Size should be about 15 by 10 inches.
- Wrap dough around pheasant, completely covering it.
- Moisen edges and pinch together to seal.
- Place pheasant, breast side up, on a trivet in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast uncovered in 350 oven for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Prepare gravy from drippings.
- Break away crusty golden brown blanket in pieces.
- Serve with the pheasant and giblet gravy.