Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Posted in response to a request. This was my grandmother's recipe for pheasant. We had/have a lot of hunters in the family and this was the best recipe for pheasant. I'm guessing on the serving size for 3 pheasants.
- Saute pheasants in butter 10 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and saute mushrooms in butter remaining in skillet 10 minutes Return pheasant to skillet.
- Add wine, lemon juice, onions, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour or until tender.
- NOTE: If oven is used- Bake at 375 degrees for about 2 hours.
I left the birds whole, did everything the same, but instead of lemon juice, I stuffed them with tangerines. YUM! Thanks for posting
I only had one pheasant (next time, I'll quarter it instead of leaving it whole) but I made all of the sauce. A little freaked out to find there is a teaspoon of pepper - but somehow it worked! The smell of it cooking is fantastic and it tastes just as good. If I were to add more birds, I would probably double the sauce. I just did an Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice side dish and the sauce mixed with the rice - wow!
really enjoyed how the wine tenderized the pheasant! i cut the pheasant into strips as well and added more mushrooms and onions but that's only because i love them :-) GREAT recipe! thank you for sharing