Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Phad Thai is a stir-fried noodle dish which is very popular across the globe. Rice noodles are combined with bean sprouts, tofu, egg, chicken and peanuts and stir-fried in just the right sauces to give it that authentic taste.
- 1⁄3 of a 16oz package dried rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup firm tofu, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chives or 1⁄2 cup spring onion, tops cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup chicken, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste, diluted with 2 tablespoons water
- Soak noodles in warm water until rubbery, at least 30 minute Drain well.
- While noodles soak, prepare all the other ingredients.
- In a skillet or wok, cook eggs until done, breaking up as they cook. Set aside.
- In same pan, add a little oil and cook chicken, stir-frying until done. Set aside.
- Put 3 Tbs. Oil in wok and heat until hot.
- Add noodles and stir-fry. Noodles will stick together forming a ball. When noodles appear blistered all over,.
- quickly add the tamarind/water mixture, stirring to soften noodles.
- Add all other ingredients; tofu, chicken and eggs, the three sauces, sugar, peanuts and bean sprouts, stir-frying for 2 minute.
- Turn off heat.
- Add chives and mix well.
- Serve adding more bean sprouts, peanuts, sugar, dried chilies and squeeze lime wedges over to taste. (opt).
Delicious! Pretty simple and fast to do too! I didn't have any bean sprouts on hand but I'm sure that would have made it even better. The sauces/seasonings went together so easily and was so good. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I'll be doing it again!
What a wonderful Phad Thai this recipe made. It was terrific, it had excellent flavors and wonderful textures. The sauce was perfect, loved the tamarind paste in it. We really enjoyed this dish, every mouthful was a taste experience. Made exactly as written, wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a huge fan of bean sprouts or tofu, but enjoy them very much in this dish. Thank you for sharing your treasure, which I will make again. Made for Pac Spring Safari 2013.