Recipe by San Marcos Sunshine
An exciting Culinary Moment at the Hotel Arizona, USA, where we left good ol' Pat holding the match.
Top Review by cookiedog
F-U-N- this was my first time lighting any food on fire on purpose and it was thrilling. I made sure I had my fire extinguisher handy and used a weber matchless flame just for the occasion. On my first try it did not ignite but that may be because I cut the recipe in half and so there may not have been enough alcohol. I added a little more and it ignited. The salad ended up being delicious with the warm bacon dressing- I don't think the extra brandy hurt one bit! I used cranberries and some candied spicy almonds. This was such fun, I'll be looking for more flameable recipes! Thanks for sharing your recipe San Marcos Sun!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Baby Spinach (approximate)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- diced shallot (optional)
- candied pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean spinach and dry in salad spinner. Can be cleaned ahead, stored in a plastic bag until needed.
- Place spinach and optional ingredients in large salad bowl.
- In large frying pan, fry bacon until crisp stirring often, Discard some of the bacon drippings if desired (probably 1/4 cup is sufficient.).
- Add sugar, mustard, vinegar, optional chopped shallot and stir until mixture boils. Heat brandy until warmed in a glass measure in the microwave. Pour into vinegar mixture, ignite with long match and shake pan until the flames die. Don't do this below the cook top hood or any other flammable object.
- Pour hot dressing over spinach & toss. Sprinkle with chopped eggs and chopped pecans (walnuts, hazelnuts or even sunflower seeds optional). Add salt & pepper to taste. Other additions could be canned mandarin orange slices, dried cherries, or cranberries.
- Have local Fire Department ready on Speed Dial.