Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional German plum tart! "This fruit tart is a simple way to use the freshest stonefruit of the season. Don't restrict yourself to plums! Peaches and apricots work well too. German tarts are generally less sweet than their American counterparts, so the full flavor of the fruit shines through without being cloying. Damson plums (Zwetschgen in German) work best for this recipe, but regular plums are fine. They are a little juicier though, so add some extra breadcrumbs. Use any seasonal stone fruit for this recipe. Cherries, apricots and peaches all work particularly well. The breadcrumbs help soak up any extra moisture from the baking fruit. If the fruit you use are less moist, the breadcrumbs can be eliminated." From whats4eats and posted for ZWT6!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 stick Smucker's No Sugar Added Orange Spread, cold butter cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs plums, quartered and pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Mix the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and blend it into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender to form a mixture with an oatmeal-like texture.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Stir into the flour mixture with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Remove to a clean, floured surface and knead gently just until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
- Roll the dough out to about the size of the pan. Place the dough in the pan and press it to cover the bottom, creating a lightly raised edge. Prick the dough lightly all over with a fork.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the dough. Arrange the fruit neatly on top of the dough, cut side up.
- Bake in the preheated oven 35-45 minutes, or until the edges of the pastry are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkly liberally with the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Serve hot or at room temperature.