Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6. Cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 2-inch squares
- Combine salt and lime juice and stir until salt dissolves.
- Add cucumbers and peppers, and stir to coat.
- Cover tightly and marinate at room temperature at least 8 hours.
Made this for a church potluck; I changed the green bell peppers for red. After 9 or so hours of marinating (overnight), there was a lot of liquid in the bottom of the bowl. I tasted a piece or two of the veggies. The salt and slight sourness of the lime juice were tasteable, but I tasted no lime flavor, which disappointed me. Next time I make this, I´ll try sprinkling a little lime juice on just before I serve it. Bottom line: beautiful to look at, easy to make, not terribly interesting to eat as I would have liked. The recipe can stand a little ?goosing.?
Great fresh and healthy recipe! When I first tasted this I thought it was going to be too salty but after a few bites it seemed just right to me. I let mine marinate the full 8 hours, stirring a couple of times during the marinating. Great side dish - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011