Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Really good Pfeffrnusse for true Pfeffrnusse lovers.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, cloves and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, until creamy, gradually beat in honey and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg, then lower mixer speed and gradually mix in the flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls and roll into balls.
- Dust hands with confectioner's sugar to prevent sticking while forming cookies.
- Place balls an inch apart on prepared baking sheets and bake about 15 minutes, or until golden and slightly cracked.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack.
- When cookies are still lightly warm, roll in confectioner's sugar to completely coat the cookies.
- Store in an airtight container.
You're right Mirj! Though "really good" is an understatement! I combined blackstrap molasses with the honey (only about 1/8 cup)and iced them with a mix of icing sugar, vanilla essence and warm water. Totally more-ish! Thank you!