1/5 Photos of Pfeffernusse (German Pepper Nut Cookies )
This is from Williams Sonoma and it has been a family favorite for years. It is a great twist on Gingerbread cookies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed anise seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses (unsulfured)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, for dusting (icing)
- 1In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, pepper, aniseeds, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and cloves.
- 2In a large bowl, using an electic mixer set on medium speed, beat together the butter, brown sugar and molasses until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- 3Beat in the egg.
- 4Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- 6Position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- 7Butter 2 baking sheets, scoop up pieces of dough and roll between your palms into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 8Place the balls on the cookie sheets spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- 9Bake until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom and firm to the touch, about 14 minutes.
- 10Transfer the baking sheets to racks and let the cookies cool slightly on the sheets.
- 11Place the confectioners' sugar in a sturdy paper bag, drop a few cookies into the bag, close the top securely, and shake gently to coat the warm cookies with the sugar.
- 12Transfer to racks and let cool completely.
- 13Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- 14Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pfeffernusse (German Pepper Nut Cookies )
Serving Size: 1 (942 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 68.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 1.5 g