Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These traditional German cookies are made with honey, molasses, and spice. From All recipes. com.
Make and share this Pfeffernusse Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Stir together the molasses, honey, shortening, and margarine in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until creamy. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the eggs.
- Combine the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, anise, cinnamon, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add the molasses mixture and stir until thoroughly combines. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Roll the dough into acorn-sized balls. Arrange on baking sheets, spacing at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes. Move to a rack to cool. Dust cooled cookies with confectioners' sugar.