Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These traditional German cookies are made with honey, molasses, and spice. From All recipes. com.
Make and share this Pfeffernusse Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Stir together the molasses, honey, shortening, and margarine in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until creamy. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the eggs.
- Combine the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, anise, cinnamon, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add the molasses mixture and stir until thoroughly combines. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Roll the dough into acorn-sized balls. Arrange on baking sheets, spacing at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes. Move to a rack to cool. Dust cooled cookies with confectioners' sugar.