Recipe by Bev
A favorite spice cookie from the award winning cookie collection at Sunset Magazine
Top Review by Ducky
I wasn't sure what to expect of this cookie since I never before baked with cloves or candied fruit. Well, what a pleasant surprise! This is a very nice cookie and not too sweet. I used non-stick spray on the cookie sheets. I got 100 cookies out of the batch. I watched the cookies closely since they 'go over the edge' very quickly (cookies are still edible, just a bit crisper). I did do a double take and had momentary panic when I took out 1 stick of butter (1/4 lb as in the ingredients) and then read 1/2C butter in the instructions. It took me a few moments to realize that they were the same. BTW, DH kept telling me 'these cookies are terrible' each time he shoved one in his mouth! LOL. Thanks for a nice cookie.
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine, at room temperature,about
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans (6 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped candied citron peel
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter and the brown sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir baking soda in 1 tablespoon hot water until dissolved; beat into butter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and salt.
- Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat until well blended.
- Stir in pecans and citron.
- Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a log about 11 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap logs separately in waxed paper and freeze until firm enough to slice, at least 1 hour.
- Unwrap dough.
- Cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in a 350° regular or convection oven until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.