2 hrs 12 mins
A favorite spice cookie from the award winning cookie collection at Sunset Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb butter or 1/4 lb margarine, at room temperature,about
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied citron peel
- 1In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter and the brown sugar until well blended.
- 2Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- 3In a small bowl, stir baking soda in 1 tablespoon hot water until dissolved; beat into butter mixture.
- 4In a medium bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and salt.
- 5Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat until well blended.
- 6Stir in pecans and citron.
- 7Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a log about 11 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 8Wrap logs separately in waxed paper and freeze until firm enough to slice, at least 1 hour.
- 9Unwrap dough.
- 10Cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 11Bake cookies in a 350° regular or convection oven until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking.
- 12Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pfeffernusse
Serving Size: 1 (1236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.2 mg
- Sodium 55.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel