Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Traditional German Xmas Spice Cookies.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold strong coffee
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 2 teaspoons anise (or 5-6 tsp. for more anise flavor)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 lbs flour
- Mix shortening, sugar and honey; bring to hard boil; cool.
- Add coffee; beat in eggs and spices.
- Add flour a little at a time as it gets hard to stir.
- Grease hands with shortening and shape into small round balls.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
- Dip in powdered sugar when cool.