Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
So similar to a family favorite, Lali's "PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps", that my family was more than happy to eat tofu -- always a good sign!
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced water chestnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups diced mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup diced white onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard, thinned in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Drain the tofu, and then remove excess moisture by cutting it in half lengthwise and microwaving on high, uncovered, for two minutes. Gently squeeze out and wipe off excess moisture, then throw tofu in the freezer for one or two hours before removing to thaw in the fridge -- this will give the tofu a slightly heavier texture.
- Cut tofu into tiny cubes (about 1/4" thick) and arrange in a lidded dish to be marinaded. Combine brown sugar, soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over tofu. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour; I usually leave it overnight.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Dissolve 1 Tsp brown sugar in 1 Tsp soy sauce and add to pan. Saute until well mixed and heated through. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaf "bowls".
- For the sauce, combine sugar, water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, sesame oil, mustard and garlic in a bowl; pour over lettuce wraps and serve.
The tofu mixture was very tasty. The sauce tasted like vinegar and was way too thin. Might make this recipe again but with a different sauce.
Made this tonight and would definitely make it again! great flavor and loved the sauce. I would next time cook tofu first to make it crisp...I did not do the microwave freezer part...maybe next time. A great meatless monday meal....husband loved it!
DH and I really liked this. The flavor was good and I just loved the crunch of the lettuce with the soft texture of tofu and snap of the water chestnuts. Based on other reviews I made the sauce in a saucepan and brought to a boil before adding a bit of cornstarch (dissolved in a little water). This added a little body but I don't believe changed the flavor which was really quite good. The only negatives were that it took forever to chop the vegie's and it was virtually impossible to get the iceberg into cups. Next time I might use butter lettuce to simplify although i will really miss the crunch of the iceberg. Thanks for the great recipe SAHS...