Recipe by CIndytc
A copycat recipe from PF Changs...
Top Review by Tuesday54
Awesome cake! The cake has a rich, chocolate taste. Almost a brownie-like taste instead of the usual bland chocolate cake. The ganache frosting is yummy (I used part bittersweet/part semi-sweet chocolate) and I warmed the raspberry jam and served it as a sauce on the side. I don't have 2 round cake pans so I baked it in a 9 x 13 and then cut it in half and stacked it.
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, at room temperature
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 2 - 9" round cake pans. LIne the bottoms of the pans with circles of baking parchment or wax paper. Dust the sides of the pans with flour and tap out the excess.
- In a microwave-sage bowl, melt the chocolate on High for 1 to 2 minutes, or until melted, stirring halfway through cooking. Set the chocolate aside to cool to room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together with a whisk.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract. One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture and milk in thirds, beating until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake layers onto the rack and cool completely.
- To make Frosting:.
- Place the chocolate into a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream, rspberry jam, butter and salt just to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and let it stand for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the frosing thicken overnight at room temperature or refrigerate it for no longer then 1 1/2 hours.
- To assemble Cake:.
- Place one layer on a serving plate, Spread frosing over the cake and top with the second cake layer. Frost the outside of the cake first, then the top.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.