Recipe by Parrot Head Mama
This is a copycat recipe from PF Chang's China Bistro. We don't have a PF Chang's anywhere near us, and my sister had a craving, so I hunted this one up on the 'net.
Top Review by Cory #3
This was really close to the restaurant. I think the key missing ingredient to make them darker and more "carmelized" is Asian Hoisen sauce. NOT plum sauce; that's totally different. Go to your local Asian grocery store and look for Hoisen sauce. Or go to your favorite grocery store and pay 4 times as much for it :-) Anyway, add about 2-4 tablespoons of Hoisen sauce directly to the mix in the frying pan right after you add the stir fry sauce. And, I was reading some reviews that say use ground chicken. I say dice it really small, like the same size as the mushrooms, and it will be much better. Texture makes a huge difference. Bless you all!
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine or 2 teaspoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced small
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) packagechinese cellophane noodles, cooked to pkg. directions
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine or 1 tablespoon red wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- lettuce leaf, washed and taken off the head but left whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients for "cooking sauce" and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine marinade ingredients and mix well. Add chicken and stir to coat thoroughly. Stir in 1 t. oil and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 T. oil, then add chicken and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add 2 T. oil to the pan. Add ginger, garlic, and onion and stir-fry for a minute or so. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and wter chestnutsl stir-fry an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan. Add mixed cooking sauce to the pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Break cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces and cover bottom of serving dish with them. THen pour chicken mixture on top of noodles. Serve along side lettuce leaves for everyone to take what they want, and then spoon into lettuce leaf and roll (like a burrito) individually themselves.