Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Chocolate sponge cake with ricotta, orange liqueur, citrus peel chocolate filling.
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese or 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed citrus peels
- 3 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease bottom and sides 11 ½ inch x 8 ½ inch baking pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper. Grease and lightly flour paper. Shake off excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until light. Sift in cocoa; add vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into egg yolks, ½ at a time.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake on waxed paper; peel waxed paper off bottom of cake. To store cake, wrap in plastic wrap up to 24 hours.
- TO MAKE FILLING, in a small bowl, beat or process cheese until smooth. Add sugar, orange liqueur, peel and chocolate. Mix well. Trim edges from cake. Cut cake in HALF; place on a flat surface. Spread bottom with filling; press other HALF gently on top. Cut cake in 20 slices. Sift cocoa over top. Refrigerate 2 hours. To store, refrigerate in a covered container up to 2 days. Makes 20 slices.
- Chocolate & Petits Fours.Beverley Sutherland Smith.