1/8 Photos of Petits Farcis - Provençe Stuffed Baked Vegetables
1 hr 25 mins
French Tart's Note:
These stuffed vegetables are typical fare from Provençe - the region that hugs the Mediterranean coastline in the South of France. Vegetables, olives and olive oil are used in abundance in Provençe, and this recipe really captures the sun and fragrance of this much-loved area! There are numerous recipes for these famous stuffed vegetables, but this one is my favourite.......all that is needed is crusty bread and a glass of wine, et voila - an excellent light dinner or summer lunch. I have stipulated baby "round" courgettes (zucchini) and tomatoes in this recipe, but you can also use onions and aubergines (eggplant) as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 round courgettes
- 4 -5 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 450 g good quality sausage meat
- 50 g tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- fresh ground black pepper
- parsley (to garnish) or basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 2Grease a roasting tin or a tian (earthenware dish) with some olive oil.
- 3Cut the tops of the courgettes and tomatoes, keeping the lids.
- 4Using a pointed spoon, hollow out centres of the courgettes and tomatoes - leaving about 1/2" thickness as the "container".
- 5Place the courgettes and tomatoes into the oiled tin or tian.
- 6Chop up the tomato and courgette flesh finely and place into a bowl.
- 7Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan, wok or skillet; add the onions, garlic, and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- 8Add the sausage meat, and break it up well - continue to cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sausage meat has browned.
- 9Add the chopped courgette and tomato flesh and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- 10Add the tomato puree and stirring occasionally, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 11Remove from the heat and add the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley - stir well.
- 12Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 13Spoon the mixture into the vegetables - and then place the tops back on top of the courgettes and tomatoes.
- 14Drizzle the remaining olive oil over and around the stuffed vegetables and then pour in the white wine.
- 15Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, until well browned and the vegetables are soft, but still holding their shape.
- 16Serve tepid or at room temperature, with the cooking liquor drizzled around the petits farcis & some chopped parsley or basil sprinkled over them. All that is needed then, is some crusty bread, good wine, good company and maybe some sun!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Petits Farcis - Provençe Stuffed Baked Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1067.5
- Calories from Fat 705
- Total Fat 78.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 171.0 mg
- Sodium 1848.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 46.9 g