Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I LOOOOOOVE smoked oyster stew!! This is my own easy version! It's delish! Enjoy! :) Time does not include cooking the bacon, I always have cooked bacon on hand in the freezer that I use for ocaisions like this.
- 3 -4 small red potatoes or 3 -4 small yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped, can sub 1 tsp. dried minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 -6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or torn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 dash garlic powder, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) canpetite smoked oysters, drained
- oyster crackers
- Cut up unpeeled potatoes into bite-sized cubes and boil til tender in small saucepan. Once water starts to boil, will only take about 4 minutes.Check them with a knife for tenderness.
- *While potatoes are boiling, saute chopped onion in butter til tender.
- Drain saucepan of potato water keeping potatoes in there.
- Add half and half, milk, boullion, garlic powder, pepper, oysters and cooked onions with the butter and juices.
- Heat over LOW heat til heated through.
- Stirring gently ocaisionally.
- *I just use a fork to lift and drain the oysters out of the can, and what's ever on them oil-wise, is fine. Just adds flavor anyways! If your stew is too oily on top, just skim off with a spoon, or don't worry about it! The crackers will absorb that! ;).
- Garnish heavily, each bowl with bacon.
- Serve with oyster crackers or saltines.
- Some like a little hot sauce served with on the side, too.
- *If using bacon that you have on hand that has been precooked, just wrap in papertowel and microwave about 10 seconds. (Thaw cooked bacon first if using it from your freezer and it's not already thawed.).
So simple to make! The oysters give this a great smokey flavor and the bacon is a must!! Made for Las Mistico Magicos Sirenas - ZWT5.
What a wonderful stew! I made a couple of changes. Wanted to feed 6 but only had one can of smoked oysters, so I added a can of chopped clams, and a few slices of smoked salmon. Used one cup of milk, one cup of half and half, and one cup of cream (more or less, didn't really measure!) Everyone loved it! Will definitely make again.
This is very easy and quick. My first time using smoked oysers. I love them with the bacon. I will make this again!