1/3 Photos of Petite Smoked Oyster Stew W/Bacon, Potatoes and Onions
I LOOOOOOVE smoked oyster stew!! This is my own easy version! It's delish! Enjoy! :) Time does not include cooking the bacon, I always have cooked bacon on hand in the freezer that I use for ocaisions like this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 small red potatoes or 3 -4 small yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 small onion, chopped, can sub 1 tsp. dried minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 -6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or torn
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 dash garlic powder, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) can petite smoked oysters, drained
- oyster crackers
- 1Cut up unpeeled potatoes into bite-sized cubes and boil til tender in small saucepan. Once water starts to boil, will only take about 4 minutes.Check them with a knife for tenderness.
- 2*While potatoes are boiling, saute chopped onion in butter til tender.
- 3Drain saucepan of potato water keeping potatoes in there.
- 4Add half and half, milk, boullion, garlic powder, pepper, oysters and cooked onions with the butter and juices.
- 5Heat over LOW heat til heated through.
- 6Stirring gently ocaisionally.
- 7*I just use a fork to lift and drain the oysters out of the can, and what's ever on them oil-wise, is fine. Just adds flavor anyways! If your stew is too oily on top, just skim off with a spoon, or don't worry about it! The crackers will absorb that! ;).
- 8Garnish heavily, each bowl with bacon.
- 9Serve with oyster crackers or saltines.
- 10Some like a little hot sauce served with on the side, too.
- 11*If using bacon that you have on hand that has been precooked, just wrap in papertowel and microwave about 10 seconds. (Thaw cooked bacon first if using it from your freezer and it's not already thawed.).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Petite Smoked Oyster Stew W/Bacon, Potatoes and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.3
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 128.2 mg
- Sodium 723.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 21.7 g