Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 leek, sliced finely
- 1 cup peas
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- Melt butter in saucepan; add carrots, turnip and cabbage and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add soup stock, leek, green peas and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add potato and minced parsley and cook for an additional 20 minutes.