Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Meals in Heels blod
- 5 ounces graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 9 ounces mascarpone
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 thin stalks rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon agar
- Preheat oven to 350f. Line the bottoms of a regular size cupcake/muffin pan with circles of baking parchment. A little butter will help them stick to the pan.
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor and then mix with the melted butter.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cups and then press flat with the bottom of a small glass.
- Bake for 5 minutes and remove.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 300f. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, mascarpone and sugar until smooth.
- Scrap the sides down and then add the eggs one at a time along with the vanilla and lemon. Beat again until smooth and then pour into the pan.
- It fills all 12 cups to the brim and you might think it looks like its too much.
- Don’t fret because they will puff up big in the oven and then sink back in after cooling.
- Bake for 25 minutes at the lower temperature of 300 and then let sit in the oven for a few minutes. Let cool and then cover and refrigerate. Ideally this stage should be done the day before to get a fudge-like texture. If not chill at least 5 hours.
- To make the topping, cut the rhubarb into 3cm pieces.
- Place in a baking dish with the orange juice and sugar and bake for 10 minutes at 350f.
- Remove and add the agar flakes. Bake for another 5 minutes and then remove to cool. If using berries, then place in a saucepan with a few tbsp water.
- Bring to a boil and add the agar. Simmer for 5 minutes and then let cool.
- Spoon the fruit topping in the centre of each cake and then refrigerate until set. They only take about 30 minutes to become firm.