1/2 Photos of Petit Sale Aux Lentilles Vertes
2 hrs 20 mins
In English: Green Lentils & Ham Hock Stew This is a very popular winter dish in France, easy to prepare, inexpensive and tasty and filling. When I was living there I used to eat this a lot! It is ideally eaten with fresh crusty bread with a bottle of sturdy red to hand. Ham hock is the same as gammon or pork knuckle. You buy them from the deli already smoked. A bouquet garni is two bay leaves, some parsley, thyme and rosemary, all tied up with a piece of string
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover the hamhock with cold water in a large heavy based saucepan.
- 2Bring to the boil.
- 3Simmer for an hour.
- 4Drain and rinse in cold water.
- 5Peel carrots and onion.
- 6Roughly chop carrots, onion and celery.
- 7Mince garlic.
- 8Slice sausage in thick slices on an angle.
- 9Fry til brown on both sides in olive oil in the same saucepan.
- 10Remove and set aside.
- 11Fry garlic and onion in pan til onion is translucent.
- 12Add other vegetables and stir fry for five minutes or so.
- 13Place ham hock and bouquet garni in saucepan.
- 14Cover with stock and top up with water so meat is covered.
- 15Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 20 mins.
- 16Add lentils and sausage.
- 17Simmer uncovered for 40 more minutes, until lentils are soft.
- 18Remove ham hock and shred meat into large chunks.
- 19Replace shredded meat in stew.
- 20Add salt and pepper to taste.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Petit Sale Aux Lentilles Vertes
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.1
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 329.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock