Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delightful dish for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
- 4 fluid ounces milk
- 2 small eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 4 slices French bread
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tart apple, peeled,cored and sliced
- 4 fluid ounces bottled water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 -2 ounce onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, mixed with sugar
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together milk, egg yolks and lemon rind.
- Soak break slices in egg mixture until saturated.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy.
- Dip soaked bread in whites and then dredge them in breadcrumbs.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, and then turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While toast is baking, place apple slices in small saucepan with the water and lemon juice; then bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Sauté sausage and onions together until crispy brown.
- To serve, sprinkle toast with sugar/cinnamon mixture, cover with cooked, drained apple slices, sautéed sausage and onions.
- Serve with maple syrup.