Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a friend's home canned version of V-8 that we love. Use it for a pick me up or a great bloody mary. The vegetables can be altered to taste. You could add horseradish if you like. We personally don't add the leak and modify the allspice to 1/2 tsp for the whole batch instead of per quart as Pete did.
- 8 quarts tomatoes, quartered
- 8 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 2 hot peppers
- 1 leek
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, per jar
- 1 lemon (sliced into 7 wedges)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Mash your tomatoes a bit with a potato masher or even just squeeze to make some juice to cook inches.
- Simmer all vegetables for 30 minutes or until veggies are soft enough to grind. (This is why your carrots, peppers, and celery need chopped small - I use the food processor).
- Once soft, run though a fine sieve, juicer, or food mill.
- Ladle into 1 quart jars leaving 3/4 inch of headspace and add to each quart:.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt. (optional).
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice.
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire (we use 1 tablespoon, but like it salty and bitey).
- dash of pepper (optional).
- Wipe rims clean, and place lids and rings onto jars. Process for 30 minutes.