Recipe by peter deuel
I came up with this after going to a mexican restaurant that used shredded beef in their dishes.I tried my best to copy the flavor but think mine may be tastier.Enjoy!
Top Review by Buster's friend
hohoho! This hit the spot! I was pushed for time & so put 5 pounds of frozen (yep rock hard) bottom round roast in the slow cooker using 1T of incendiarily hot chile powder & @ T beef base instead of salt. Added tomatoes w/green chiles (mild) and a teaspoon of cumin along with a tablespoon or so of dried onion. Cooked on high for 10 hours (reset after 6hrs when I got home). Man, oh man, the shredded beef that resulted was good! We made wet burritos first night & had shredded beef with eggs & cheese in tortillas for breakfast (good start for yardwork day!). I froze 3 freezer bags of meat with juice for meals w/o cooking later. Thank you, Peter, for a recipe I will use again & again for tough bottom round!
- 2 -3 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder (split into 1 Tbsp and 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (any brand)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) to about 350 degrees.
- (If using regular skillet heat on med-hi).
- Season roast w/salt,pepper and 1 Tbsp chili powder on all sides.
- Add oil to skillet and brown roast,turning roast after 2 minutes on each side.
- Put roast in a crock-pot or 6-quart stock pot.
- Pour all three cans diced tomatoes and chilies over roast to cover (add water if liquid doesn't cover roast) Add remaining chili powder to pot, stir into liquid as best as possible.
- cook 2-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- About 30 minutes before roast is done, ladle 2 cups of liquid from pot into a saucepan using a wire strainer to remove chunks of tomato.
- Mix flour with water until dissolved.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add in flour mixture,stir until well blended.
- Return pan to stove on low heat.
- Stir until sauce thickens.
- Slice meat thin,serve with spanish rice.
- Spoon sauce over meat and enjoy!