Top Review by woodland hues
This method produced a really moist, tender chicken. We had a 4 lb bird which roasted for 2 hours with about 3 bastings. The flavour of all the seasonings was missing, however, and I was disappointed as I expected tangy, hot, garlicky...something, anything. I didn't care for the honey in this prep either. I love experimenting, though, and am glad I tried this. Thanks.
- 1 roasting chicken
- fresh ground pepper
UNDER SKIN STUFFING
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Line a roasting pan with foil (makes for easier clean-up).
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Sit the chicken in the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the stones and scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a bowl.
- Roughly mash the avocado so that you still have some small chunks. Add the remaining stuffing ingredients, mix together and taste for seasoning.
- Stuff the mixture between the skin and flesh as best you can all over the chicken. It's OK if some is sticking out.
- Mix the ingredients for the coating and drizzle or brush the honey mixture all over the chicken skin.
- Bake the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on its size, basting occasionally with any juices in the pan or with any leftover honey mixture.
- Remove from oven when done and allow to rest 5-10 minutes before carving.