Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Posted in response to a request. This comes from "Once Upon a Recipe" for healthy ways to feed your child.
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, washed and seeded
- 1⁄2 yellow sweet pepper, washed and seeded
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 2 tablespoons natural spaghetti sauce or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (or other favorite cheese)
- 1 dash oregano or 1 dash Italian herb seasoning
- Heat 4 tsp of oil in a small skillet.
- With a pair of kitchen scissors, cut stars, sunbursts, moons and other fun shapes out of sweet peppers.
- Chop the trimmings and saute them all in the skillet until just a bit soft, about 5 minutes Spread 1 tsp of oil on each pita.
- Then spread 1 Tbs of sauce or paste on each pita.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Decorate with your peppers.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Heat in toaster oven or regular oven on 400F for approx.
- 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.