Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
WOW! Saw this recipe and had to adopt and post. I grow tons of basil and freeze my pesto (Thanks to Zaar directions) I tried this and really enjoyed it as did the family. This is a great recipe for summer harvest or anytime of year. I added in some veggies as DH and I love to eat fresh vegetables and he likes substantial soups.(these additions are in parenthesis) I hope you enjoy. Adopted from Mr. Food- a hometown celebrity chef
- 2 (793.78 g) canseasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic (I made my own)
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 283.49 g package frozen peas (can be fresh)
- 255.14 g frozen cut green beans (can be fresh)
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 793.78 g can tomatoes (cut up or chopped)
- 2 (850.48 g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml pesto sauce (2 frozen pesto ice cubes)
- 170.09 g bagfresh Baby Spinach
- grated parmesan cheese
- additional pesto sauce
- carrot, cut into disks
- potato, cut into cubes
- celery, chopped
- Put 1st 8 ingredients into 5-6 quart crock pot, cover and cook on low 6 hours. (add in additional vegetables at this time if you so choose).
- Stir in pesto and spinach and cover and cook on low an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese and additional pesto sauce. Add in some chunky warm rustic bread and you have a comfy meal.
- note: cooked chicken can be added as well in the last 30 minutes as well.
Delicious! I sauteed 4 cloves of garlic with the onions in about 1 T of basil infused olive oil instead of using garlic broth. Once they begin to soften, I added the other soup ingredients.(plus carrot and summer squash -- no potatoes) and cooked on high for 3 hours, then low for 1, then added pesto and spinach as directed. Easy, but very tasty!
The other reviewers who said the pesto makes this recipe are right. I decided to just stir the pesto into each individual serving. It is delicious and I feel so healthy after eating it! And a crock pot recipe to boot! Loved this on a chilly, busy Fall evening! Thank you!
This is all about the pesto. This is a great soup and I love the fact that it is a crock pot recipe. But the flavor is brought out with the pesto. Made for ZWT 2011.