This fabulous torte can be made without the sun-dried tomatoes. The combination of cream cheese and pesto is mouth-watering. The original recipe comes from Ann Hodgman's Beat This cookbook. I reduced the amount of butter used, and I like to make it in a loaf pan rather than custard cups! You can use basil or artichoke pesto, and I often use dry packed tomatoes but reduce the quantity by half.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until well blended.
- Mix pesto and parmesan cheese in small bowl.
- Line two 8 oz custard cups (or loaf pan) with plastic wrap.
- Divide cream cheese mixture into four parts (2 for a loaf) Spoon 1/4 of cream cheese mixture into each custard cup.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 of the tomatoes.
- Spread 1/4 of the pesto mixture over tomatoes.
- Repeat layers.
- Fold plastic wrap over each torte, sealing well.
- Chill overnight until firm.
- Unmold, remove plastic wrap.
- Serve with crusty French bread slices.
- Garnish with chives, parsley, or"whatever" for color.