Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are great served with an Italian meal as an alternative to garlic bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- Preaheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
- Combine flour, 2 tbs. cheese, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Combine milk, oil and egg in a small bowl; stir until blended. Stir into flour mixture until just moistened. Do not overmix. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling one-third full. Stir pesto sauce; spoon 1 teaspoons sauce into each muffin cup. Spoon remaining batter evenly over pesto sauce. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbs. cheese evenly over batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in muffin pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
I'm not the greatest baker and these worked out well for me! I was a little worried that I didn't have enough dough, but in fact it puffs out beautifully, with a delicious pesto surprise instead! I used an olive pesto, and took most of these to friends for Sunday lunch, but DH made sure he kept some aside for himself! This is definitely a make again, a great snack and very nice for offering to guests! Thank you, Catherine! Made for PAC Spring 2009
Wonderful - two batches in two days, lol. Made for New Kids on the Block, a tag game.