Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A favourite of mine for an informal dinner party. Change the basil pesto for the sun-dried tomato version for a variation!
- 88.74 ml pesto sauce (basil sauce, recipe at end)
- 8 chicken thighs, boned
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 (793.78 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 14.79 ml tomato puree
- fresh basil leaf (a good handful)
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 9.85 ml ground paprika (to garnish)
- 9.85 ml basil leaves (to garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml tightly packed fresh basil leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 56.69 g chopped almonds
- 118.29 ml virgin olive oil
- 28.34 g butter
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese
- Spread a little pesto under the skin of each chicken thigh.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a heavy based saucepan and sauté chicken in batches until lightly browned all over.
- Remove with slotted spoon and reserve whilst sautéing the remainder.
- Heat remaining oil in pan add onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Add basil leaves and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in white wine and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Season to taste.
- Lay peppers in a large ovenproof dish,pour over tomato sauce, top with chicken and sprinkle paprika over.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with some more basil leaves.
- Pesto Sauce: Liquidise all ingredients.
The tasty and delicious dish even if the contents of the saturated fat and cholesterol is slightly disturbing.So nothing for the anhedonistic enviromentalists.
A wickedly delicious dish and a good way to squeeze in your daily dose of wine. Made for Alphabet Soup Tag.
Great meal! I made this for my husband and his family for valentine's day - what a hit!!! I only wish I would have taken a picture of my masterpiece!!!