Recipe by Norahs Girl
A favourite of mine for an informal dinner party. Change the basil pesto for the sun-dried tomato version for a variation!
- 6 tablespoons pesto sauce (basil sauce, recipe at end)
- 8 chicken thighs, boned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- fresh basil leaf (a good handful)
- 1⁄4 pint white wine
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika (to garnish)
- 2 teaspoons basil leaves (to garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 ounces chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread a little pesto under the skin of each chicken thigh.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a heavy based saucepan and sauté chicken in batches until lightly browned all over.
- Remove with slotted spoon and reserve whilst sautéing the remainder.
- Heat remaining oil in pan add onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Add basil leaves and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in white wine and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Season to taste.
- Lay peppers in a large ovenproof dish,pour over tomato sauce, top with chicken and sprinkle paprika over.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with some more basil leaves.
- Pesto Sauce: Liquidise all ingredients.