This won the BH&G Your Best Recipe Contest Casseroles Category in the February 2008 issue.
Make and share this Pesto Shrimp Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp or 1 lb frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded Fontina cheese (5 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- fresh basil leaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F Remove tails from shrimp. Rinse shrimp, pat dry with paper towels. Chop shrimp and set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In large bowl stir together eggs, butter, half-and-half, 1 cup of the fontina cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, garlic, pine nuts, chopped basil, and 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Stir in shrimp and macaroni. Transfer to buttered 2-quart casserole. Top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through and shrimp pieces are opaque. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh basil leaves.
Wonderful dish. I didn't think there were enough nuts, so I doubles them. Love pine nuts. Other than that, no changes made. :)
This dish was yummy!!! quick and easy to prepare, delish results! I will definitely keep this recipe. I used mild cheddar instead of fontina cuz i couldn't find it at Ralph's. Thanks for sharing :)
This was really good. I used whole wheat penne and fat free half-and-half. I doubled the pine nuts, and used asiago cheese because that's what I had. My kids even liked it which kind of surprised me because they love the blue box macaroni and cheese. I'm looking forward to making this again. Thanks.