Recipe by Phil Franco
Recipe provided by Adriana: www.cookiesfromitaly.com Some say using a blender rather than a food processor results in a smoother puree. When combining pesto with pasta, Ligurians mix a small ladle of the cooking water into the pesto just before adding the noodles; this dilutes the concentrated sauce and helps it adhere to the pasta. Pesto is great on meats, fish or with pasta.
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves (from about 3 large bunches)
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in blender. Blend until paste forms, stopping often to push down basil. Add both cheeses and salt; blend until smooth. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Top with 1/2 inch olive oil and chill.) Makes about 1 cup.
- To freeze: divide into small portions.
- Some people freeze in ice cube trays.