Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This Italian sandwich comes from the World Hearth site. Did change the portion amount after Crafty's review.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, round, uncut
- 6 ounces smoked chicken, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut in rings
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off top 1/3 of the bread loaf. hollow bread loaf leaving about 1/4 inch of the bread wall.
- Layer 1/2 of each ingredient; then repeat.
- Replace top of loaf.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
This was tasty, and a cute way to serve a sandwich. :) Anything with pesto on it is a winner at this house, but I should caution future chefs: Find a WIDE loaf of sourdough. Mine was more tall than wide, so the 6 of us looked at the loaf, and said, "No way that feeds 6. Maybe 4." The amount of filling was fine, and we were all pleasantly full, it just looked like it wasn't enough. I did sub canned diced tomatoes due to salmonella outbreak here in US. Thank you for posting, made for ZWT4.
This was a tasty sandwich! I made an individual sandwich on a roll, and used my standard soy-based meat substitute, but otherwise included the remaining ingredients as listed. I then pressed it into a panini (kind of) using my waffle maker, for the Panini Challenge for the Italy portion of ZWT 4. Thanks, WiGal!