Recipe by yooper
Not your ordinary dinner roll! These can be made a day ahead and held in an airtight container. Or prepare several weeks in advance and freeze in containers. Reheat before serving. To reheat room temperature rolls, wrap in foil and warm in a 375 oven 7-10 minutes. For frozen rolls, wrap and reheat for about 20 minutes. Prep time does not include overnight chill or 30 minute rise time. From "Better Homes and Gardens".
Top Review by JaniceJean
Mark, I had trouble with these. Is there water in the recipe? I tried to intuit the right proportions of flour/ water/ no water- just didn't turn out at all. Would love to make them again- give me guidance!!!!
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 3/4 cups of the flour and yeast, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat milk, water, butter, sugar and salt just until warm (120 to 130 F) and butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with egg.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in pesto.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lighly floured surface.
- Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Place in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease eighteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups.
- Divide each half of dough into 9 equal portions.
- Divide each portion into three pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball, pulling edges under to make a smooth top.
- Place 3 balls in each muffin cup, smooth sides up.
- Sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Immediately remove rolls from pans.
- Cool on wire racks.