Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe taken from the Food Network Magazine which I tweaked just a tad.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 leeks, washed, sliced thinly and washed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into small pieces, about 10 spears, cooked crisp tender
- 1 slice ham, about 1/2-inch thick and diced
- 3⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup packed parsley
- 2 green onions, coarsely copped
- 8 small fresh mozzarella balls, cut into smaller pieces or
- 1 cup bite-size fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In small food processor bowl, place the parsley, green onions and pesto.
- Pulse until well combined.
- Set aside.
- In medium pot, bring stock to a boil.
- Cook leeks in stock for about 4 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Keep stock on low simmer.
- In large pot, over medium high heat, melt the butter and saute the rice until well coated.
- Add the wine and cook until almost absorbed.
- Add 2 cups of the stock and continue to simmer until almost absorbed.
- Continue this process until rice is cooked and creamy.
- Add the leeks, ham, asparagus, Parmesan cheese and 2/3 cup of the pesto.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Lastly stir in the cheese balls.
- Serve immediately in hot serving bowls and top with remaining pesto.