Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick and easy side dish that tastes delicious. The pine nuts give a wonderful flavour and texture.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- 5 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons very finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cook the rice in the hot water, simmering over a low heat in a covered pan for around 20 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
- When the rice is fully cooked, remove from the heat.
- Add the pesto sauce, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Stir to mix well.
- If the rice has had a chance to cool at all, you may wish to reheat it at this point- the rice should be hot enough for the mozzarella to melt slightly.
- Serve onto plates and top with the grated mozzarella if desired.
Yummy! I love pesto, it always reminds me of summer. Adding a bit to my rice just punched the flavor through the roof! I didn't add the optional cheese, but loved this anyway. I'll be saving this to make again, and telling friends how wonderful it is! Thanks for posting!
As a big fan of pesto and not such a big fan of pasta I found this to be tasty and easy side. DH had what little was left with his lunch and said it reheated nicely. Made as written using a little mozzarella sprinkled on the top. This recipe is a winner that I will be making again. Thanks for the post.
Was this ever a hit at my dinner table! I cooked the rice in my rice steamer, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. We make pesto with basil from the garden, so used that. It was so flavorful and easy to make! I know I will be asked to make it again soon! A new favorite!