Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I like to use red, orange and yellow – sweet peppers for colour. Great as a side dish to chicken, turkey, lamb or pork, or as a meatless main dish. I blanche my peppers for 5 min.in boiling water as I prefer the peppers to be softer. This recipe from Foodland does not call for this.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 3 tablespoons diced rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 3 red sweet peppers or 3 orange sweet bell pepper or 3 yellow sweet peppers
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In large bowl, mix together rice, cheese, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts; set aside.
- Cut peppers in half through stems (retain stems); seed and core.
- Fill each pepper half with rice stuffing. Place, stuffing side up, in baking dish.
- Cover with foil; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 minutes.
- Topping: Remove foil. Sprinkle cheese over peppers; bake uncovered, for about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is golden.
Mmm. These were tasty! I was surprised at how easy they were to put together! I did not blanche mine prior to stuffing and the peppers were soft enough for our taste. I used 4 LARGE red peppers. Next time I think I am going to try stuffing tomatoes! The pesto flavour was unique, but I think it needed extra garlic added to the rice to give it a kick. I will make this often!! Its a great way to use leftover rice and leftover pesto sauce.