Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from allrecipes.com, where at the moment I read it, it had 24 glowing reviews. I can hardly wait to make it. Vegetarians and meat eaters alike loved it; so did those allergic to wheat. Lots of the chefs played around with the recipe, adding mushrooms, or red peppers, leaving out the pine nuts, or changing the cheese. I hope you enjoy it as much as they did!
- 1 (18 ounce) package polenta, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 12 ounces readymade marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Oil an 11x7x2 inch baking dish.
- Arrange a single layer of polenta in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto over the polenta.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the polenta.
- Top with another layer of polenta and sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler.
- Top polenta with cheese and pine nuts, and broil until cheese browns and nuts are toasted.
My family really enjoyed this! I've never considered putting pesto with marinara, but the polenta really absorbed the pesto and had wonderful flavor. Quick and easy, and used staples in my pantry. Great weeknight dinner!
This was great! Had leftover prepared polenta from a dinner party and didn't want it to go to waste. Whipped this up in mere minutes, tossed in the oven and served with a green salad and a glass of red wine-great meal and almost effortless. thanks for such a simple tasty dish!