Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is an healthier alternative to bruschetta using pita bread instead of a baguette or french stick. You can either use mayonnaise or cheese spread to mix with the pesto & either tomato slices or diced tomatoes. I use a soft cheese spread, the ones that are sold in triangles, they are really creamy & mix really well with the pesto.
- 1 pita bread round
- 4.92 ml prepared pesto sauce
- 4.92 ml mayonnaise or 4.92 ml cream cheese spread
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced or 118.29 ml chopped grape tomatoes
- 29.58 ml fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine the pesto & mayonnaise or pesto & cream cheese. ( I do this on the pita to save on dishes).
- Place or sprinkle tomatoes on top and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place under you griller or broiler and cook until pitas are slightly crisp & cheese is melted.
We really enjoyed this for a light dinner. It's a great use for in season tomatoes. I used about a half of a fresh tomato. I took your suggestion and used a wedge of laughing cow cheese. My pita was a little bit soggy. Might have been because it wasn't completely thawed. Might try to toast it a bit first before adding toppings. Thanks for sharing.
Very good served with Luccan farro soup.
I used mayonnaise and it gave a very good taste mixed with the pesto. I sliced my tomato but another time I'll dice it. Instead of parmesan, I used grated mozzarella cheese. Thanks Mandy. It was yummy. Made for the Babes of ZWT4