Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is an healthier alternative to bruschetta using pita bread instead of a baguette or french stick. You can either use mayonnaise or cheese spread to mix with the pesto & either tomato slices or diced tomatoes. I use a soft cheese spread, the ones that are sold in triangles, they are really creamy & mix really well with the pesto.
- 1 pita bread round
- 1 teaspoon prepared pesto sauce
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or 1 teaspoon cream cheese spread
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced or 1⁄2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine the pesto & mayonnaise or pesto & cream cheese. ( I do this on the pita to save on dishes).
- Place or sprinkle tomatoes on top and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place under you griller or broiler and cook until pitas are slightly crisp & cheese is melted.
Very good served with Luccan farro soup.
I used mayonnaise and it gave a very good taste mixed with the pesto. I sliced my tomato but another time I'll dice it. Instead of parmesan, I used grated mozzarella cheese. Thanks Mandy. It was yummy. Made for the Babes of ZWT4
Outstanding! Made for a very quick and FLAVORFUL lunch today using a Laughing Cow cheese wedge and 1t pesto. I diced and seeded a roma tomato to top it off with and really I can't say enough about the taste (I was using a great flavorful pesto).... I just kept saying "I had the greatest lunch today" and it really was. Thanks so much for posting; I will be making this often as I always have pita's around! Made for ZWT4.