Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Dr. Travis Stork's said it's ok to have a glass of wine with this meal. If I recall he may have suggeted red. I found this recipe on the Rachael Ray Show. The recipe came from Dr. Travis Stork's. Made this for my families dinner! My hubby loved this, my newphew and I liked it. When I made this I opted to used store prepared Pesto, so I added minced garlic to my veggies. For the pasta I used Wegman's whole grain pasta, I used fresh snap peas in place of the asparagus. I used the spinach and opted to add the cooked chicken. I did add alot of shredded Parmesan cheese maybe 5oz or less. Plus I did add some Sea Salt for flavor.
For the Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (from about 2 bunches)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional (to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese, sardo or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Pasta
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta (such as penne or farfalle)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 14 ounces) or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 3⁄4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups Baby Spinach or 2 cups arugula
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces (optional)
- Make pesto: Combine basil, pine nuts, oil and garlic in a food processor. Blend until paste forms, stopping often to push down basil. Add cheeses and sea salt. Blend until smooth. Transfer to small bowl. (Makes about 2/3 cup. Can be made 1 day ahead. Top with 1/4 inch olive oil and chill.).
- Prepare pasta: Cook pasta per package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat while pasta cooks. Add asparagus and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until asparagus are tender 2-3 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Add pesto, spinach, and chicken (if using) to pasta and toss until well-combined. Sprinkle with grated or shaved Parmesan. Serve warm, or chill and serve cold.